Police , Protesters Clash During Hong Kong Handover Anniversary

Police in Hong Kong have clashed with protesters marking the anniversary of its handover from UK to Chinese rule.

In chaotic scenes on Monday, police used pepper spray and batons to contain protesters outside a venue hosting an annual flag-raising ceremony.

Report says, a small group of protesters also smashed into the government building.

This is the latest in a series of protests against a controversial bill that would allow extraditions to mainland China.

The government has agreed to suspend it indefinitely, but the rallies continue and Chief Executive Carrie Lam is facing ongoing calls to resign.

Hong Kong, a former British colony, has been part of China since 1997 under a “one country, two systems” deal that guarantees it a level of autonomy.

Pro-democracy events are held every year to mark the handover. Large crowds were seen marching through the streets on Monday afternoon

The flag-raising ceremony to mark the handover took place inside the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre, amid a heavy police presence.

Authorities say, Demonstrators began blocking several roads near the venue early on Monday morning, using items like metal and plastic barriers to block the way.

Outside the Convention and Exhibition Centre, police officers equipped with shields and batons clashed with hundreds of protesters around 30 minutes before the ceremony. Police also used pepper spray to disperse the crowd.

According to Report, At least one woman was seen bleeding from a head wound after the clashes.

A police statement condemned “illegal acts” by protesters who, it said, had taken iron poles and guard rails from nearby building sites.

The force later said 13 police officers had been taken to hospital after protesters threw an “unknown liquid” at them. Some were said to have suffered breathing difficulties as a result.

Around lunchtime, a breakaway group of protesters moved to the Legislative Council building (LegCo), where the government meets.

A small group of protesters continually rammed a metal trolley against the glass doors of the building as some on the sidelines yelled words of encouragement.

The group later succeeded in smashing in the door, but did not make their way into the building, where police could be seen waiting inside.


Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *