By Adenitan Akinola 

There was pandemonium in Osogbo, the Osun State Capital in the early hours of Tuesday as about thirty-five students of Fakunle Comprehensive High School around the Stadium area collapsed as a result of teargas fired by policemen during their morning drill.

The incident led to the students being hospitalized. 

Radio Nigeria gathered that men of the 39 Squadron Division of the Nigeria Police Mobile Force located opposite the school along Osogbo-Ikirun road fired numbers of teargas canisters during their morning drill which accidentally breezed into the school premises aided by wind.

A source in the school disclosed, “When the tear-gas attack occurred many of our students were fainting and we were taking them to the hospital but at a point, many of the students ran to safety, we were forced to close the school for the day”. 

The Permanent Secretary of the Osun State Ministry of Education, Mrs Adelani Aderinola, through the Information Officer, Mrs Roseline Olawuni said the mobile policemen were holding memorial exercise in honour of their fallen colleagues in Benue state when they fired the tear gas that affected the students. 

They were shooting tear gas which affected the students in the school. However, the matter has been escalated to the Police Commissioner and has stopped the exercise. The students have been taken to the hospital and most of them have been stabilized.” 

The spokesperson of Osun State Police Command, Mrs Yemisi Opalola confirmed that the police did not fire the tear gas inside the school but they were just using it for their drill.

Speaking with newsmen, Head of Corporation Osun Ambulance, Mrs Arowosafe Olayemi explained that eleven patients were moved to Uniosun Teaching Hospital and the others were taken to Spring Hospital very close to the school at Aderin.

Before we got there the school authority already took the students to the private hospital, you know we cannot just disagree with them because the lives of the students are so important to us“. He said 

We were there early enough, within 5 minutes we were there because we have an ambulance close to that place, we have an ambulance at the stadium and you know that place is closer, immediately they call me I told them to move down to the school and immediately I ask them to release the students to go home because the more they inhale that thing the more the people would faint, so I told the principal to release the students to go home so that we can reduce the number.”

Subscribe to our Telegram and YouTube Channels also join our Whatsapp Update Group


Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *