National Sports Festival to Hold Next Month in Edo
The much postponed Edo National Sports Festival will go ahead as planned from 2nd – 14th of next month, with 8,000 athletes taking part, Minister of Youth and sports Development Chief Sunday Dare has assured.
Speaking in Benin after undergoing a tour of facilities and a meeting with Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki, Chief Dare said the camp for the Edo Festival would be opened on second of next month, while the official opening of the Festival will be done by President Muhammadu Buhari on the sixth.
The minister said the ministry was also working closely with the PTF,NCDC and other stakeholders to ensure that the necessary support were provided in terms of vaccination of athletes, test kits.
He said the number of athletes that would be participating had been reduced from 14,000 to 8,000.
He commended Edo state Governor and his Deputy Governor for taking the lead.
Chief Dare concluded that the event was coming at the most auspicious time when athletes are preparing for the Olympics.
The Festival billed for last year was postponed due to the out break of Covid-19.
The new February date was also moved due to paucity of funds.